This recipe comes from Bobby Flay of the Food Network. Most reviews weren’t very favorable, they were expecting something a bit denser. I think they were harsh as he did go to culinary school. However, I thought it was quite good and the chocolate was not bitter at all. It was just the right texure and kids were able to keep if off their hands and faces. I call that as win, win!!
Dark Chocolate Mousse
Dark Chocolate Mousse. I thought it was quite good and the chocolate was not bitter at all. It was just the right texure and kids were able to keep if off their hands and faces. I call that as win, win!!
- 5 1/4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 14 ounces cold heavy cream
- 3 large egg whites
- 1 -ounce sugar
- Sweetened whipped cream, for garnish, optional
- Shaved bittersweet chocolate, for garnish, optional
- Place chocolate in a large bowl set over a bain marie or in a double boiler at a low simmer. Stir chocolate until melted. Turn off the heat and let stand.
- Beat the cream over ice until it forms soft peaks. Set aside and hold at room temperature. With a mixer, whip egg to soft peaks. Gradually add the sugar and continue whipping until firm.
- Remove the chocolate from the bain marie and using a whisk, fold in the egg whites all at once. When the whites are almost completely incorporated, fold in the whipped cream. Cover the mousse and refrigerate for approximately 1 hour or until set. Serve in goblets topped with more whipped cream and shaved chocolate, if desired.
- Definition: A bain marie is a utensil and a cooking technique. One container with food to be cooked is placed in another, larger pan containing water that is at the simmering point.
Recipe Image Source: Food Network
Serving Size 1/2 cup
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 32 g
Saturated Fat 18 g
Unsaturated Fat 10 g
Cholesterol 283 mg
Sodium 77 mg
Total Carbohydrates 32 g
Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
Sugars 30 g
Protein 8 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.