This cucumber and onion salad is not your average side dish. And it comes with a twist! To make the cucumbers a bit softer and the flavors marinate deep into the dish you need to add boiling water to the mix and then refrigerate until cold. In just over an hour you can serve them with the meal.
Cucumber and Onions
- 4 cucumbers thinly sliced
- 1 small white onion thinly sliced
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1 tablespoon dried dill or to taste
- Toss together the cucumbers and onion in a large bowl.
- Combine the vinegar, water and sugar in a saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Bring to a boil, and pour over the cucumber and onions.
- Stir in dill, cover, and refrigerate until cold. This can also be eaten at room temperature, but be sure to allow the cucumbers to marinate for at least 1 hour.