My family eats a lot of sausage as well as sauerkraut. My husbands grandmother used to soak it in water 4 separate times to get the flavors she wanted. Coming from a more Irish and Italian background I was never taught the best ways to prepare these foods. The first time I bought jar sauerkraut I learned a major lesson. What was it? Always cook when my husband wasn’t home and take the garbage bags straight to the can. This just isn’t my expertise and I admit it. Anyone want to teach this old dog a new trick??
Crock Pot Sausage and Sauerkraut
- 1 cup sauerkraut
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 pound of Italian sausage cut up into 1-2 inch pieces
- 1/2 onion sliced
- 1/4 cup water
- In a bowl combine the sauerkraut and brown sugar. Place this into slow cooker.
- Next arrange the sausage pieces and onion over the sauerkraut.
- Pour water on top.
- Cook on high for 2 hours, checking occasionally to make sure there is still water.
- Reduce to low and cook for 2 more hours.
- Serve over mashed potatoes.