My family eats a lot of sausage as well as sauerkraut. My husbands grandmother used to soak it in water 4 separate times to get the flavors she wanted. Coming from a more Irish and Italian background I was never taught the best ways to prepare these foods. The first time I bought jar sauerkraut I learned a major lesson. What was it? Always cook when my husband wasn’t home and take the garbage bags straight to the can. This just isn’t my expertise and I admit it. Anyone want to teach this old dog a new trick??
Crock Pot Sausage and Sauerkraut
- 1 cup sauerkraut
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 pound of Italian sausage cut up into 1-2 inch pieces
- 1/2 onion sliced
- 1/4 cup water
- In a bowl combine the sauerkraut and brown sugar. Place this into slow cooker.
- Next arrange the sausage pieces and onion over the sauerkraut.
- Pour water on top.
- Cook on high for 2 hours, checking occasionally to make sure there is still water.
- Reduce to low and cook for 2 more hours.
- Serve over mashed potatoes.
Nutrition Information is estimated based on the ingredients and cooking instructions as described in each recipe and is intended to be used for informational purposes only. Please note that nutrition details may vary based on methods of preparation, origin and freshness of ingredients used.
Conversion Information We get a lot of requests to help with conversions especially between various countries like Canada, the U.K. and Australia. These tables should help you make those conversions. For your convenience we have included a Conversion Chart.