Creamy Ham Chowder ~Treat yourself to a creamy, colorful, and low-cal ham chowder. From crisp onions and carrots to cheesy broccoli florets, this heartwarming, slow-cooked dinner is brimming with healthy and delicious toss-ins.
Creamy Ham Chowder
- 12 ounces tiny yellow potatoes cut into ¾-inch pieces
- 1 cup chopped onion 1 large
- 2 14½ ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme crushed
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 12 ounce can evaporated fat-free milk 1-1/2 cups
- ½ cup diced cooked lean ham
- 1 cup coarsely shredded carrots 2 medium
- 1 cup broccoli florets steamed
- ¼ cup shredded cheddar cheese 1 ounce
- 2 teaspoons snipped fresh thyme
- In a 4-quart slow cooker combine potatoes and onion. Pour broth over vegetables.
- Cover and cook on high-heat setting for 3 hours.
- In a medium bowl combine cornstarch, dried thyme, and pepper. Whisk in evaporated milk. Slowly stir the cornstarch mixture, ham, and carrots into the hot soup. Cover and cook for 30 minutes more, stirring the soup occasionally.
- Serve soup topped with broccoli, cheese, and fresh thyme.
Nutrition Information is estimated based on the ingredients and cooking instructions as described in each recipe and is intended to be used for informational purposes only. Please note that nutrition details may vary based on methods of preparation, origin and freshness of ingredients used.
Conversion Information We get a lot of requests to help with conversions especially between various countries like Canada, the U.K. and Australia. These tables should help you make those conversions. For your convenience we have included a Conversion Chart.
Disclaimer Unless indicated recipes influenced by cookbooks, magazines or family traditions.