Wanting to make something fast and easy and knowing I would be competing with all the Easter goodies I decided to try these soft cake mix cookies. They were indeed soft, but not a bit crumbly. The cookies also were bite sized. Since I only had a half green mix left I made those cookies in 2″ balls in a Whoopie pan. My thought was they would expand out to the edges and become perfectly round. Nothing doing! They stayed in round balls. The white cookies came from a full box, so I decided to make those 3″ balls and used a muffin pan in hopes of keeping their shape. This idea turned into a total FAIL as the mix never spread and the difference in the amount of dough per cookie caused them to burn. Still needing something to add to the table, and running out of time I scraped the bottom of the cookies as best I could and loaded them in the tray. To my delight there was so much finger food and candy on that table the cookies were overlooked. My son took them to work the next day and put them in the kitchenette where they were devoured while folks had their coffee. Just lets chalk this one up to a Senior Moment, shall we?
For more cookie recipes see Ultimate Cookie Bloopers
Cream Cheese Cake Mix Soft Cookies
- 1/4 cup butter or stick margarine
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1 egg
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 tablespoons milk
- 1 package 18.5 ounce size cake mix
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Cream butter and cream cheese. Blend in egg and vanilla. Add cake mix, 1/3 at a time. Hint: put mixer on low for this phase so the cake mix doesn't blow all over. Mix well after each addition. Add milk slowly to avoid splattering.
- Cover and chill 30 to 60 minutes. This is a key step. Drop by teaspoons (or tablespoons if you want larger cookies) onto a lightly greased cookie sheet. Bake 10 to 12 minutes until cookie bounces back when touched.
- Cool 3 to 5 minutes before removing cookies to a cooling rack.
- Ice with your favorite frosting.
- Soften butter and cream cheese at room temperature for an hour prior to mixing up this recipe
- Use any flavor of cake mix that you want.
- Be creative adding nuts, raisins, chocolate chips, and other goodies!