Ever shop for the holiday or a family meal and decide you need another salad? Or need to bring something fast and simple, yet tasty and a bit different? This Chicken Pasta Salad is just the ticket. And you can skip the chicken is you have no meat guests and family. Cook the pasta while you take care of other details. But if you like to make the dish the night before and “grab and go” like I do this works for you! I love this salad as it uses avocados making it special over the store bought pre made options. Your family is going to ask for more!
Cold and Creamy Chicken and Pasta
This delicious Chicken Pasta Salad can be made the night before is truly a grab and go option!
- 8 oz rotini (corkscrew shape) or shell pasta, uncooked
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 3 oz butter
- FOR THE DRESSING:
- 3 cups mayonnaise
- 2 cups sour cream
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese (or to taste)
- 3 teaspoons salt (or to taste)
- 2 teaspoons dill weed (plus additional, for garnish)
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 2 ripe avocados
- Tomato wedges (for garnish)
- Cook the pasta according to package directions; drain. Rinse under cold water, drain and set aside.
- Lightly saute the chicken breasts in butter until done. Cut into strips about 1/2-inch wide an 2-inches long. Set aside.
- Mix the remaining ingredients together, except the avocados. Allow to set for 15 minutes so that the flavors all blend together.
- Peel and pit the avocados; slice lengthwise into 1/2-inch strips; set aside.
- Mix the chicken strips, pasta and dressing in a large bowl. Mix should be slightly juicy. Gently stir in the avocados, so they don't break up. Allow the mixture to set overnight in the refrigerator so that the pasta absorbs the dressing.
- TO SERVE:
- If the mixture is dry, add mayonnaise so that it is slightly wet. Taste for seasonings. Place chicken pasta mixture in a chilled serving bowl and garnish top with ripe tomato wedges. Sprinkle with a small amount of dill weed.
©MARILYN'S TREATS. All images are copyright protected.