This is an original recipe from a world famous restaurant near me In Frankenmuth, Michigan. Zehnder’s is famous for their quaint old German style hospitality, covered bridge, cheese haus and fudge. The artisan shoppes have every type of local talent exhibited for your pleasure. A midtown clock stands majestically in the middle of the two lane main street. “The village is located a few short miles from Bronner’s Christmas Wonderland (stylized Bronner’s CHRISTmas Wonderland) is a retail store in Frankenmuth, Michigan that promotes itself as the “World’s Largest Christmas Store”. Designed with an Alpine architecture and operating year-round, the building is 7.35 acres (29,700 m²) in size with landscaped grounds covering 27 acres (109,000 m²). Outside the entrance are three 17-foot (5 m) tall outdoor Santas and a 15-foot (5 m) tall snowman.” courtesy of YELP) You can purchase anything you can dream of from bulbs to life size nativities. But the most famous thing about Frankenmuth are the two large eating areas featuring their famous chicken dinners with all the trappings of grandma’s meals from scratch. This coleslaw is just one. In future posts I will be featuring more of the famous sides from their recipe cookbook.
Classic Cole Slaw
Yield 12 Servings
- 6 ounces half & half
- 1 1/2 cups salad dressing (Hellman's or Kraft mayonnaise)
- 7 ounces white vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon Zehnder's Chicken seasoning
- 1 head cabbage, finely shredded
- 1/4 cup carrot, shredded per pound of cabbage
- 1/4 cup onion, finely chopped per pound of cabbage
- 1/4 cup red cabbage, shredded per pound of cabbage
- 1/4 cup green pepper, finely chopped per pound of cabbage
- Mix all the ingredients, except cabbage, carrots, onion and green pepper, until all solids are dissolved. Store in refrigerator. Chill before using.
- Shred the cabbage. Add the carrots, onions, red cabbage and green peppers. Toss in the dressing until it coats the cabbage but doesn't make it soggy. If you desire a thicker dressing, substitute sour cream for the half & half.
©MARILYN'S TREATS. All images are copyright protected.
Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 27 g
Saturated Fat 4 g
Cholesterol 15 mg
Sodium 460 mg
Total Carbohydrates 11 g
Sugars 6 g
Protein 1 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.