These truffles are beautiful and sweet but healthier than your regular chocolate truffles (especially if you swap out the glacé cherries for some soft dried fruit). They do contain chocolate and the higher percentage of cocoa in the chocolate you purchase – the healthier they will be. So don’t go buy a regular milk chocolate but a dark 70% or 85% cocoa bar. My understanding of how it works is, if you buy a 100gram bar of 85% cocoa chocolate then 85 grams out of the 100 gram bar is cocoa leaving only 15% for sugar and cocoa butter etc… Yes it will be more bitter as there is less sugar in the bar but I assure you I have added beautiful sweet dates and dessicated coconut and raw sweet almonds to sweeten it up naturally. With no bad sweeteners but healthy natural ingredients. You could always add a dash of honey if it really isn’t sweet enough for you. Adding the maraschino cherries in the middle or the glace cherries to the mix is not healthy at all so if you go that route – then it is only for a very special treat and the truffles won’t be healthy (just FYI).
- 50 gr (1¾ oz) Raw almonds
- 7 fresh Dates (pits removed)
- 17 Glace Cherries or soft dried fruit dried fruit like PEARS or APRICOTS
- 50g (1¾ oz) 70% dark Chocolate (I used Lindt) (roughly chopped)
- ½ cup fine coconut
- 70 (2¼ oz) dark chocolate (or chocolate of your choice)
- 2 teaspoons sunflower oil
- OPTIONAL: a few marachino cherries on stalks
- To view the rest of the recipe follow this link to the original author
- BettyBake ~Chocolate and Coconut Truffles
©MARILYN'S TREATS. Please feel free to contact BettyBakes to reprint this partial recipe and send comments to her.