Chicken Jerk Salad consists of mixed greens topped with mozarella cheese, avocado, grilled green and red peppers, grilled chicken breast and marinated with a slightly spicy jerk sauce. This brightly colored salad is full of a robust flavor bringing out the jerk flavor only after teasing your palate with the avocado and peppers. Even though I used a spring mix of greens a fresh spinach leaf could also be used. The spicy marinade adds a just a touch of flavor and is not heavy. Perfectly balanced in texture, color and flavor, this salad is just the treat for a luncheon or light supper. Give it a try! This salad is well worth the wait.
Chicken Jerk Salad
For the salad:
- 1 pkg DEL MONTE spring mix salad greens
- 1 Red Pepper cut into strips
- 1 Green Pepper cut into strips
- 1 Avacado pitted, peeled and sliced
- 8 oz of shredded mozarella
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tbs extra virgin olive oil for sauteeing peppers.
For jerk marinade:
- 3 scallions chopped
- 4 large garlic cloves chopped
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons salt
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 2 teaspoons ground allspice
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
*Prepare and marinate the night before.*
- Blend all marinade ingredients in a blender until smooth.
Marinate and grill chicken:
- Divide chicken pieces and marinade between 2 sealable plastic bags. Seal bags, pressing out excess air, then turn bags over several times to distribute marinade. Put bags of chicken in a shallow pan and marinate, chilled, turning once or twice, 1 day.
- Let chicken stand at room temperature 1 hour before cooking.
To cook chicken using a charcoal grill:
- Open vents on bottom of grill and on lid. Light a large chimney of charcoal briquettes (about 100) and pour them evenly over 1 side of bottom rack (you will have a double or triple layer of charcoal).
- When charcoal turns grayish white and you can hold your hand 5 inches above rack for 3 to 4 seconds, sear chicken in batches on lightly oiled rack over coals until well browned on all sides, about 3 minutes per batch. Move chicken as seared to side of grill with no coals underneath, then cook, covered with lid, until cooked through, 25 to 30 minutes more.
To cook chicken using a gas grill:
- Preheat burners on high, then adjust heat to moderate. Cook chicken until well browned on all sides, 15 to 20 minutes. Adjust heat to low and cook chicken, covered with lid, until cooked through, about 25 minutes more.
- While chicken is cooking prepare salad.
- Rinse the greens thoroughly.
- In large saucepan sautee the peppers in extra virgin olive oil. About 10 minutes.
- Toss together lettuce, pepper and avacado.
- Add chicken when cooled.
- Sprinkle mozzarella cheese over the salad and serve.