Chicken and Bacon Mac and Cheese in a Sourdough bread bowl is a delicious way to feed adults and children too! This creamy mac n Cheese has grilled chicken and bacon added to take it up a notch for an adult. Served in a warm bread bowl take this dish over the top. Kids and adults alike will feel warm and cozy on a cool night.
Want more Mac n Cheese ideas for adults and kids? See my Chili Mac n Cheese Hot Dog Casserole, BBQ Chicken and Smoke Gouda Mac n Cheese, Shrimp and Crap Mac n Cheese and Chicken and Bacon Mac and Cheese in a Sourdough Bread Bowl.
Chicken and Bacon Mac and Cheese in a Sourdough Bread Bowl
- 4-6 slice bacon cut into small pieces
- 1 box pasta shells work best, but any short pasta will do
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 1 c milk
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 2 c shredded cheese
- 4-6 small round bread loaves for the bowls
- 2 pkgs pre-cooked Grilled Chicken strips chopped (from the dairy section)
- Set oven to low broil.
- In small saute pan, brown the chopped bacon. Do not drain off grease.
- In large pot, bring water to rolling boil and add pasta. Cook pasta according to directions.
- In a small pot, melt the butter. Stir in the flour and make a paste, add the milk and stir until mix is creamy smooth.
- Add shredded cheese and stir until melted.
- Add the drained pasta to the bacon, stir well. This adds a nice crispy texture to the pasta. Stir the cheese mix and chopped chicken into the bacon and pasta. Pour into a greased casserole dish.
- Broil until top is browned.
- Make a circular cut into the top of the bread. (Similar to carving a pumpkin. Remove the bread from the center, leaving about 2” of crust. Save the removed bread.
- Fill each bread bow with the mac and cheese mixture and serve!!