Did you know that bottom round roast is a lean meat that’s an excellent source of many vitamins and minerals? And since it’s available at most supermarkets at reasonable prices, Caramelized Onion Roast can easily feed your gang for a small price. Roast is a great choice for a Sunday meal any time of the year. A healthy red meat choice that makes a complete meal when adding veggies and a fresh green salad. Your family will run to the dinner table when you call!
Caramelized Onion Roast
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 2-1/2-pound beef bottom round roast
- 1 large red onion cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 14-ounce can reduced-sodium beef broth*
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon tarragon*
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- In a large soup pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the roast; cook for 5 to 6 minutes, until brown on all sides. Remove the roast; set aside.
- Add the onion; cook for 10 to 12 minutes, or until caramelized and brown.
- Return the roast to the pot. Add the remaining ingredients, cover, and reduce the heat to medium-low. Simmer for 1-1/2 hours, or until the roast is tender. Slice and serve.