Did you know that bottom round roast is a lean meat that’s an excellent source of many vitamins and minerals? And since it’s available at most supermarkets at reasonable prices, Caramelized Onion Roast can easily feed your gang for a small price. Roast is a great choice for a Sunday meal any time of the year. A healthy red meat choice that makes a complete meal when adding veggies and a fresh green salad. Your family will run to the dinner table when you call!
Caramelized Onion Roast
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 2-1/2-pound beef bottom round roast
- 1 large red onion cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 14-ounce can reduced-sodium beef broth*
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon tarragon*
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- In a large soup pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the roast; cook for 5 to 6 minutes, until brown on all sides. Remove the roast; set aside.
- Add the onion; cook for 10 to 12 minutes, or until caramelized and brown.
- Return the roast to the pot. Add the remaining ingredients, cover, and reduce the heat to medium-low. Simmer for 1-1/2 hours, or until the roast is tender. Slice and serve.
Nutrition Information is estimated based on the ingredients and cooking instructions as described in each recipe and is intended to be used for informational purposes only. Please note that nutrition details may vary based on methods of preparation, origin and freshness of ingredients used.
Conversion Information We get a lot of requests to help with conversions especially between various countries like Canada, the U.K. and Australia. These tables should help you make those conversions. For your convenience we have included a Conversion Chart.
Disclaimer Unless indicated recipes influenced by cookbooks, magazines or family traditions.