Whenever I can get fresh squash I like to make this Butternut Squash Soup. It is a great choice to add some wonderful spices to the sweet squash. My husband refers to this soup as his before the meal dessert. The addition of the cloves, brown sugar and cinnamon brings out a flavor that can’t be matched. When I saw this recipe on Epicurious with the addition I just had to try it. We found it delicious and i hope you will also!
Butternut Squash Soup with Ginger
- 2 butternut squash about 4 3/4 pounds total, halved lengthwise, seeded
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups thinly sliced onion
- 1 tablespoon golden brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- 2 garlic cloves coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cinnamon stick
- 5 cups or more canned low-salt chicken broth
- Chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Oil baking sheet. Place squash, cut side down, on baking sheet. Bake until squash is very soft, about 50 minutes. Using paring knife, remove peel from squash; discard peel. Cut squash into 2-inch pieces. Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium-low heat. Mix in onion, brown sugar, ginger, garlic and cinnamon. Cover pot and cook until onion is tender, about 15 minutes. Add squash and 5 cups chicken broth. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer 10 minutes. Discard cinnamon.
- Working in batches, purée soup in blender. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cool slightly. Cover and refrigerate.) Return soup to pot. Season soup with salt and pepper. Bring to simmer, thinning soup with more broth if necessary. Ladle into bowls. Sprinkle with parsley and serve.
Nutrition Information is estimated based on the ingredients and cooking instructions as described in each recipe and is intended to be used for informational purposes only. Please note that nutrition details may vary based on methods of preparation, origin and freshness of ingredients used.
Conversion Information We get a lot of requests to help with conversions especially between various countries like Canada, the U.K. and Australia. These tables should help you make those conversions. For your convenience we have included a Conversion Chart.
Disclaimer Unless indicated recipes influenced by cookbooks, magazines or family traditions.