I eat a lot of chicken meals and my favorite has to be broasted chicken. This tried and true recipe is so moist and yummy and I love the fact that it is mostly baked and not deep fried. I almost feel guilt free when I splurge. Adding a fresh salad, glazed carrots, and smashed redskin potatoes rounds out this comfort meal. If you make homemade rolls this meal is fit for a queen.
I love the fact that it is mostly baked and not deep fried. I almost feel guilt free when I splurge. Adding a fresh salad, glazed carrots, and smashed redskin potatoes rounds out this comfort meal. If you make homemade rolls this meal is fit for a queen.
- 1 broiler-fryer chicken (cut into pieces, you could use pieces as well)
- 1 quart buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon salt (adjust to taste)
- 1 teaspoon pepper (adjust to taste)
- 6 tablespoons garlic (smashed and mashed)
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups panko breadcrumbs
- 8 cups canola oil (adjust amount oil to fit your pan) or 8 cups safflower oil (adjust amount oil to fit your pan)
- Place chicken pieces into buttermilk, salt, pepper and smashed garlic. Make sure you work the buttermilk into the chicken pieces. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for anywhere from one hour to 24 hours. (I took the skin off of the chicken breasts, left the skin on the smaller pieces.).
- Remove the chicken from the marinade, do not dry, just let the buttermilk drip off. Combine flour with salt and pepper, dredge each piece through the flour.
- In a separate plate add your panko, place each piece of chicken into the panko and press into the chicken.
- Heat the oil to 300°-325°F. Place the chicken into the oil and allow to cook without turning for the first 8 minutes, turn and when you have completed the turn check the internal temp of the chicken it should be between 140°-145°F.
- Place onto paper towel to drain any excess oils - place into the oven for 15 minutes at 325°F. Your internal temp should be 160°F.
©MARILYNS TREATS. All images are copyright protected.
Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 19.6 g
Saturated Fat 5.5 g
Cholesterol 217 mg
Sodium 158 mg
Total Carbohydrates 22 g
Dietary Fiber 2 g
Sugars 1 g
Protein 26 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.