This Bourbon Sweet Potato Bisque recipe is the best soup I have made in ages. The sweet potatoes are tender but not mushy. The broth is just the perfect texture. The addition of walnuts give it a small crunch. The addition of a small amount of bourbon adds an indescribable flavor to the soup. Everyone will be asking you what it is. Don’t forget the alcohol burns off but the flavor remains!
Bourbon Sweet Potato Bisque with Walnuts
The addition of a small amount of bourbon adds an indescribable flavor to the soup. Don't forget the alcohol burns off but the flavor remains!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pinch of red pepper flakes
- 3 tablespoons bourbon
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed (mine came to about 1.25 pounds, peeled and cubed)
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable stock
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup half and half
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Heat a large pot over medium heat and add olive oil and butter. Add onions with pepper flakes and a pinch of salt and stir to coat, then cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add in garlic and cook for another minute. Increase heat slightly and add bourbon, stirring well. Let cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add sweet potatoes, stock and water to the pot. Cover and let simmer for 25 minutes, until sweet potatoes are soft.
- While sweet potatoes are boiling, add bread cubes to a baking sheet. Toss with cinnamon and sugar, then brown butter, and bake for 8-10 minutes until golden. Remove and set aside until soup is finished.
- After sweet potatoes are soft, carefully pour the entire mixture into a high-powdered blender and pureed until smooth and creamy, about 5 minutes. Additionally, you can use an immersion blender but the soup may not be as smooth. Transfer creamy soup back into the pot over low heat. Stir in half and half, salt and pepper, then taste and season additionally if needed. Serve with walnuts on top.
©MARILYN'S TREATS. All images are copyright protected.
Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 13 g
Saturated Fat 7 g
Unsaturated Fat 4 g
Trans Fat 1 g
Cholesterol 37 mg
Sodium 325 mg
Total Carbohydrates 40 g
Dietary Fiber 4 g
Protein 8 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.