This Bourbon Sweet Potato Bisque recipe is the best soup I have made in ages. The sweet potatoes are tender but not mushy. The broth is just the perfect texture. The addition of walnuts give it a small crunch. The addition of a small amount of bourbon adds an indescribable flavor to the soup. Everyone will be asking you what it is. Don’t forget the alcohol burns off but the flavor remains!
Bourbon Sweet Potato Bisque with Walnuts
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 sweet onion diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 pinch of red pepper flakes
- 3 tablespoons bourbon
- 2 medium sweet potatoes peeled and cubed (mine came to about 1.25 pounds, peeled and cubed)
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable stock
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup half and half
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Heat a large pot over medium heat and add olive oil and butter. Add onions with pepper flakes and a pinch of salt and stir to coat, then cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add in garlic and cook for another minute. Increase heat slightly and add bourbon, stirring well. Let cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add sweet potatoes, stock and water to the pot. Cover and let simmer for 25 minutes, until sweet potatoes are soft.
- While sweet potatoes are boiling, add bread cubes to a baking sheet. Toss with cinnamon and sugar, then brown butter, and bake for 8-10 minutes until golden. Remove and set aside until soup is finished.
- After sweet potatoes are soft, carefully pour the entire mixture into a high-powdered blender and pureed until smooth and creamy, about 5 minutes. Additionally, you can use an immersion blender but the soup may not be as smooth. Transfer creamy soup back into the pot over low heat. Stir in half and half, salt and pepper, then taste and season additionally if needed. Serve with walnuts on top.
Nutrition Information is estimated based on the ingredients and cooking instructions as described in each recipe and is intended to be used for informational purposes only. Please note that nutrition details may vary based on methods of preparation, origin and freshness of ingredients used.
Conversion Information We get a lot of requests to help with conversions especially between various countries like Canada, the U.K. and Australia. These tables should help you make those conversions. For your convenience we have included a Conversion Chart.