Let me tell you my home is smelling so good! I walked in from the garden to the sweet aroma of bananas and blueberries baking in the oven. For a special treat for the tastebuds I added a bit of lemon zest in the batter. Yum! I decided to add a garnish of blueberries and zest for a sweet presentation. You can also keep it plain, add nuts, or include the lemon glaze included in this recipe. Such a great treat for this time of year with all the great fruit available in your garden or farmers market.
Blueberry Banana Bread With A Secret Touch
For the bread:
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup raw sugar
- 8 TBS butter softened
- 3 mashed ripe bananas
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups fresh blueberries save some for garnish
- the zest of one lemon save some for garnish
- Additional blueberries and lemon zest
For the glaze:
- 2 ounces of cream cheese softened
- 1 tablespoon of butter softened
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cup of powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Place sugar and melted butter in a large bowl, beat with a mixer at medium speed until mixture is fluffy and well blended (about 1 minute).
- Add mashed banana, eggs (one at a time); beat until blended. Add vanilla.
- Add flour mixture; beat at low speed just until moist. Gently fold in blueberries and lemon zest. Spoon batter into two 8½ x 4½-inch loaf pans previously greased.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool the bread 10 minutes in pan on a wire rack; remove the bread from pan.
- Cool completely on wire rack.
- Garnish with lemon zest and additional blueberries.
For the glaze:
- Beat the cream cheese and butter with a mixer until thoroughly combined, 1-3 minutes. Add the lemon juice and beat to combine. Slowly add the powdered sugar and mix until a glaze forms.
- Pour the glaze over the top of the bread and garnish with blueberries and lemon zest if desired.
Nutrition Information is estimated based on the ingredients and cooking instructions as described in each recipe and is intended to be used for informational purposes only. Please note that nutrition details may vary based on methods of preparation, origin and freshness of ingredients used.
Conversion Information We get a lot of requests to help with conversions especially between various countries like Canada, the U.K. and Australia. These tables should help you make those conversions. For your convenience we have included a Conversion Chart.