It is a little known fact that velvet comes in more colors than red. Blue velvet is even more stunning! This week I wanted to help the family get into the spirit of the day. I had the red velvet and white cake mixes, so I just needed to make the blue cupcakes. With all the hustle and bustle of a crowd of people in the house I only got my test cupcake photographed. All the icings were cream cheese. And the stars were blueberries and the stripes were strawberries. It was a thing of beauty. Enjoy!
Blue Velvet Cupcakes
- 2 C sugar
- 2 sticks butter at room temperature
- 2 eggs
- 1 T cocoa powder
- 1 T Wilton royal blue gel food coloring
- 1/4 T violet gel food coloring
- 2½ C cake flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 C buttermilk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 T vinegar
Almond Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 1 8 oz. cream cheese softened
- 1/2 stick of butter softened
- 1/2 tsp. almond extract
- 16 Oz powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare cupcake pan(s) with paper liners.
- In a mixing bowl, cream the sugar and butter, mix until light and fluffy. Add the eggs 1 at a time and mix well after each addition. Mix cocoa and food colorings together to form a paste, and then add to sugar mixture; mix well. Sift together flour and salt. Add flour mixture to the creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk. Blend in vanilla. In a small bowl, combine baking soda and vinegar and add to mixture.
- Pour batter into cupcake papers. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove from oven and cool completely before frosting.
- Blend cream cheese, butter, and almond extract. Mix in powdered sugar. Spread or pipe onto cooled cupcakes.