Blood and Sponges aka Tomato Soup and Grilled Cheese are great for a wet cold day. Whole wheat bread, cheese, Campbell’s Tomato Soup and a nice steaming glass of tea are the pick-me-up of choice when I am chilled to the bone. How about you? This was a staple comfort food when I was in college. And the kids will love the taste of the soup. Grilled cheese sandwiches are always a hit in my home. And a quick warm comfort screams YES to me after a long day and everyone needs to go in a different direction.
Blood and Sponges
- 2 cans 10 3/4 ounces each Campbell’s® Condensed Tomato Soup
- 2 cups water or milk
- 8 teaspoons butter softened
- 8 slices Sandwich Bread
- 8 slices processed American cheese food product
- Heat the soup and water in a 2-quart saucepan over medium heat until the mixture is hot and bubbling, stirring occasionally.
- Spread the butter on the bread slices.
- Place 4 bread slices, butter-side down, into a 12-inch skillet. Top with the cheese slices and remaining bread slices, butter-side up. Cook over medium heat until the sandwiches are lightly browned on both sides and the cheese is melted.
Nutrition Information is estimated based on the ingredients and cooking instructions as described in each recipe and is intended to be used for informational purposes only. Please note that nutrition details may vary based on methods of preparation, origin and freshness of ingredients used.
Conversion Information We get a lot of requests to help with conversions especially between various countries like Canada, the U.K. and Australia. These tables should help you make those conversions. For your convenience we have included a Conversion Chart.
Disclaimer Unless indicated recipes influenced by cookbooks, magazines or family traditions.