Blood and Sponges aka Tomato Soup and Grilled Cheese are great for a wet cold day. Whole wheat bread, cheese, Campbell’s Tomato Soup and a nice steaming glass of tea are the pick-me-up of choice when I am chilled to the bone. How about you? This was a staple comfort food when I was in college. And the kids will love the taste of the soup. Grilled cheese sandwiches are always a hit in my home. And a quick warm comfort screams YES to me after a long day and everyone needs to go in a different direction.
Blood and Sponges
- 2 cans 10 3/4 ounces each Campbell’s® Condensed Tomato Soup
- 2 cups water or milk
- 8 teaspoons butter softened
- 8 slices Sandwich Bread
- 8 slices processed American cheese food product
- Heat the soup and water in a 2-quart saucepan over medium heat until the mixture is hot and bubbling, stirring occasionally.
- Spread the butter on the bread slices.
- Place 4 bread slices, butter-side down, into a 12-inch skillet. Top with the cheese slices and remaining bread slices, butter-side up. Cook over medium heat until the sandwiches are lightly browned on both sides and the cheese is melted.