So the Eclipse is coming. How many of you will be in the path to see it best? Are you prepared? I am excited, but in Michigan we will be North of the path. They are having a Senior Event at the Metropark near me. Free golf, swimming in the lake, a planetarium showing the eclipse, and a carriage ride through the park. It sounds like a full day of fun!
Well in the spirit of the event I dug through my recipe box and found this Black Bean Soup. The image isn’t spectacular but the soup sure is!!
Since trying to eat healthier I have been trying foods I never would before. Veggies were always low on my list unless they were raw or came with a dip. I have been collecting recipes to try lately and this is one. My husband had a bowl of this soup at Panera and I grabbed a teaspoon to give it a taste. I won’t lie, it was the sour cream on top that encouraged me. To my surprise it was wonderful! I couldn’t stop tasting it and after a few minutes my husband flagged the waitress for another bowl for himself. This recipe is delicious and ready in 45 minutes. You have to give it a try! Try this alo my Ultimate Nachos for fun meal. Or my BBQ Pulled Pork Nachos.
Black Bean Soup
A hearty easy soup that is ready in under 45 minutes. Don't let the ingredients list scare you, they are mostly spices!
- 10 slices bacon, finely chopped
- 2 medium onions, chopped (about 2 1/2 cups)
- 6 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups canned chopped tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 4 (15 1/2-ounce) cans black beans, drained but not rinsed
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 bunch cilantro
- juice of 1/2 lime
- Thinly sliced scallions, for garnish
- Sour cream, for garnish
- Put the bacon into a large heavy pot and place it over medium heat. Cook until it starts to give up its fat, about 4 minutes. Stir in the onions and cook, stirring, until they start to turn translucent, about 4 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook until you can smell it, about 1 minute. Add the broth, tomatoes, ketchup, Worcestershire, and chili powder. Stir in the beans, turn the heat to high and bring to a boil. Adjust the heat so the soup is bubbling gently and cook 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, pick off all the thick stems from the cilantro. Wash it and shake dry. Chop the cilantro coarsely and stir it into the soup when it has been simmering 10 minutes. cook until the soup is thickened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the lime juice. Serve with the garnishes.
©MARILYN'S TREATS. All images are copyright protected.
Serving Size 1 cup
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 1.6 g
Saturated Fat 0.5 g
Unsaturated Fat 0.6 g
Sodium 1203 mg
Total Carbohydrates 19 g
Dietary Fiber 8.4 g
Sugars 3.1 g
Protein 6 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.