On these cold winter days there is nothing more comforting than a nice hot bowl of homemade Country Vegetable Soup. If you have been smelling it simmering on your stove all afternoon nothing tastes better, especially if you serve it with a loaf of fresh warm bread or dinner rolls. This soup is very hearty as well as rich with vegetables. Your hungry family will ask for extra helpings and they will be in luck! This recipe makes 8 generous servings. Just add a nice salad and your meal will be complete!
Best Country Vegetable Soup
Best Country Vegetable Soup ~This soup is very hearty as well as rich with vegetables.
- 2 - 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 4 large carrots, sliced
- 1/2 bunch of celery, chopped
- 2 medium sized onions, chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 large green pepper
- 1 large red pepper
- 1 (15 oz.) can corn, drained
- 1 1/2 cups fresh peas
- 1 1/2 cups fresh fine green beans, cut into bite sized pieces
- 3 potatoes, scrubbed and diced with skin on
- 10 cups of water
- 3 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 3 large bay leaves
- 1/4 cup dried basil (I know that seems like a lot, but it adds so much wonderful flavor to the soup)
- 1 Tbsp. sea salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- Coat your Dutch Oven or stock pot with olive oil and warm on medium heat.
- Start with the carrots and saute your vegetables.
- Chop as you go, adding in one vegetable at a time until they are all sauteed while stirring.
- After all the vegetables are added, slowly add the water, tomato paste, bay leaves, basil, salt, and black pepper.
- Stir, cover and turn heat to low-medium.
- Let simmer on your stove top for 2 1/2 to 3 hours.
- Turn off the heat.
- Season with more with salt and pepper if you wish.