This is not your regular goulash. There is a hint of garlic to the dish and a thinner sauce that brings a sweeter taste to the brisket. The meat is tender and the noodles a bit firmer when served. The flavors blend together to bring a delicate taste to the dish. When mushroom, scallions and sour cream are added this dish becomes a complete meal. Enjoy!
Beef Brisket Hungarian Goulash
- 2 TBS lard
- 2 large onions, finely sliced
- 1 bunch chopped scallions
- 2 lbs beef brisket, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 TBS Hungarian paprika
- 1 cup water, or as needed
- 2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 1 lb fettuccine noodles
- 1 pinch salt and pepper to taste
- Melt lard in a large pot over medium heat. Cook and stir onions in hot lard until soft and translucent, 5 to 8 minutes.
- Stir beef and paprika into onions. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Add mushrooms, 1 cup water and simmer, adding more water if moisture gets too low, until meat falls apart and onion sauce is thick, about 1 hour more. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Boil fettuccine noodles 8-13 minutes. Drain.
- Add goulash over noodles. Top with sour cream And scallions as desired.