It was a long time coming, but I was able to keep two bananas long enough to make this bread. I added a third browning banana to the mix. Keeping my fingers crossed on that one. I used the whip of my hand mixer to do all the stirring as the batter was quite thick. Can’t wait to see how this is received by my family!
Banana Walnut Bread
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/3 cups mashed banana approx 3 large bananas
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk ** see tip below
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly grease a 9×5 inch loaf pan. I used Pam breaking spray, then wiped the pan thoroughly with a paper towel to remove the excess.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- In a large bowl, whisk together sugar and eggs until well-incorporated. Stir in mashed banana, vegetable oil and vanilla extract. Stir in one third of the flour mixture, followed by half of the buttermilk. Stir in another third of the flour mixture, followed by the remaining buttermilk and the rest of the flour mixture. Mix just until no streaks of dry ingredients remain. Fold in the walnuts and pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake for 55-60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the pan comes out clean and the bread springs back when lightly pressed.
- Allow cake to cool completely on a wire rack before slicing.