Everyone loves banana cream pie and this is a good recipe. But what really sets it apart is the hazelnut crust. And the crust is simple to make: add chopped hazelnuts to a just-add-water crust mix. Just one more taste sensation to add to your holiday menu!
For more pie recipes see 20+ Pies For Thanksgiving
Banana Cream Pie With Hazelnut Crust
Everyone loves banana cream pie and this is a good recipe. But what really sets it apart is the hazelnut crust. And the crust is simple to make: add chopped hazelnuts to a just-add-water crust mix.
- 2/3 cup finely chopped hazelnuts
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/4 cup just-add-water pie crust mix
- 1 teaspoon butter rum
- 3 to 4 tablespoons cold water
- For the filling:
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups milk
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 3 or 4 ripe bananas
- Mix the chopped hazelnuts and sugar with the pie crust mix. Add the water to the flavor and then stir both in. Stir with a fork to form a dough ball.
- Roll out the dough and form the crust in a standard nine-inch pie pan. Form a decorated edge that also acts as a dam to reduce spills. (See picture for a recommended edge.)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Line the pie shell with parchment paper and lay pie weights over the lining. Bake for twelve minutes. Remove the paper and weights and bake for another ten minutes or until it just starts to brown. Remove the pie crust and let it cool.
- Place the dry ingredients in a saucepan.
- Wisk the egg yolks with the milk. Add the egg mixture to the dry ingredients in the saucepan, stirring after each addition.
- Heat over low heat, stirring regularly, until the mixture is thick and just begins to bubble.
- Add the butter and vanilla and stir.
- Let the mixture cool for fifteen minutes. While it is cooling, line the baked pie shell with sliced bananas. Spread the filling over the bananas. Chill for several hours. Top each slice with whipped cream to serve. Option: add a bit of cinnamon or coconut to the top.
© MARILYN'S TREATS. All images are copyright protected