Baked Spaghetti is a bit different enough in texture and taste as well as preparation than the more popular version. The kids will love this dish because of the extra mozzarella cheese baked on top. You can even put this dish together ahead of time or the night before and then pop it in the oven and finish cooking it. This is an easy recipe and can be frozen. Make enough for more than one dinner at a time!
For more Father’s Day ideas see Dad’s Day Delights
- 2 cups canned diced tomatoes
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup diced green bell pepper
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 1/2 teaspoons House Seasoning recipe follows
- 1 1/2 teaspoons seasoning salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 small bay leaves
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 8 ounces uncooked angel hair pasta
- 1 cup grated cheddar
- 1 cup grated Monterey Jack
- 1 cup salt
- 1/4 cup black pepper
- 1/4 cup garlic powder
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a stockpot, combine the tomatoes, tomato sauce, water, onions, peppers, garlic, parsley, seasoning mixtures, sugar, and bay leaves. Bring to a boil over high heat, and then reduce the heat and let simmer, covered, for 1 hour. Crumble the ground beef in a large skillet. Cook over medium-high heat until fully cooked, with no pink color remaining. Drain the fat from the meat, and then add the ground beef to the stockpot. Simmer for 20 more minutes. Cook the pasta according to the package directions. Cover the bottom of a 13 by 9 by 2-inch pan with sauce. Add a layer of pasta and then a little less than 1/2 of each cheese; repeat the layers, ending with the sauce. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes. Top the casserole with the remaining cheese, return it to the oven, and continue to cook until the cheese is melted and bubbly, about 5 more minutes. Cut into squares before serving.
- Mix ingredients together and store in an airtight container for up to 6 months.