Baked Caramel Apple Pancakes ~The caramel apples and topping are baked right into these pancakes. Ever have a baked pancake? Takes a bit more time than on the griddle but they are SO worth it! Everyone eats at the same time, and you don’t need to have breakfast while you are cooking just to have your pancakes warm. These taste just like a WARM HOMEMADE CARAMEL APPLE PIE! You definitely won’t be disappointed when you serve these. For the Caramel Topping see here! For more apple recipes see An Apple A day.
For more breakfast choices please visit this post, 10 Great Breakfasts.
Baked Caramel Apple Pancakes
Baked Caramel Apple Pancakes ~The caramel apples and topping are baked right into these pancakes.
- 3/4 cup flour
- 2 Tbl sugar
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 2/3 cups half and half
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 Tbl butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 Gala or Fuji apples, peeled, cored and cut into wedges
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 2 Tbl butter
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Confectioner’s Sugar for dusting
- 1/4 cup Caramel Topping, warmed.
- In a large bowl mix together the half and half, milk, egg and vanilla until well combined.
- While whisking the egg mixture, slowly pour in the melted butter.
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, 1 1/2 Tbl sugar, baking soda, baking powder, 1/4 tsp cinnamon.
- Pour the wet mixture over the dry ingredients and mix just until just a few lumps remain. You don’t want to over beat this.
- Set aside and allow to rest for at least 15-20 minutes.
- Place the rack in the upper third position of the oven and preheat to 500F.
- Heat butter mixture, now rested, in a 10” ovenproof pan (make sure it can handle 500F!) non-stick skillet over medium heat.
- Add in the apples, brown sugar and cinnamon.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low.
- Stir frequently and cook for 10 minutes or until the apples are golden brown and the sauce has thickened slightly. *Note: watch this as you don’t want the sugar to burn.
- Remove from heat and stir in the lemon juice. Watch as this bubbles slightly.
- Pour the apple mixture over the top.
- Pour the batter in the oven proof pan.
- Place on the oven rack and immediately reduce the temperature to 425F. Do not open the oven door.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes or until the pancake is golden and puffy.
- Using an oven proof mitt, remove the pan from the oven.
- Use a rubber tipped spatula to loosen the sides.
- Cover with a plate and quickly invert.
- Cover rhe pancake with the apple mixture.
- Dust with confectioner’s sugar.
- Drizzle with warm caramel sauce.
Apples best for baking are Gala, Granny Smith, Jonathan and Jonagold.
To prevent apple slices from browning while cooking pancakes, toss apples with 1 tablespoon lemon juice right after cutting.
Place pancakes in 200-degree oven to keep warm until ready to serve.
©MARILYN'S TREATS. All images are copyright protected.
Serving Size 1 serving
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 18 g
Saturated Fat 10 g
Cholesterol 90 mg
Sodium 610 mg
Total Carbohydrates 72 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 45 g
Protein 8 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.