Have you been invited to many baby showers lately? Have to bring a dish to pass as well as a gift for the mom-to-be? Everyone loves popcorn and for gourmet popcorn is very trendy right now. This pink and blue popcorn is just the thing. Keep an eye on the expectant mama to see if she is cornering the market on any one color!
Baby Shower Popcorn
- 1 C sugar
- 1/4 C + 1 Tblsp water
- 6 C popped popcorn-approx 1/3 C unpopped
- liquid food coloring
- Place sugar and water in small pan over medium heat.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat and keep stirring until it thickens (3-5 minutes)-I suggest setting a timer for 7 minutes once it begins to boil.
- Once thickened remove from heat and add food coloring. Stir well and immediately pour over popcorn.
- Carefully (it's very hot) stir to cover all of the popcorn.
- Pour onto wax paper, parchment or silicone liners and allow to cool.
I pop the popcorn right onto a silicone lined baking sheet. The popcorn lies flat and it's easier to drizzle the syrup over more that way.Since I was only making one batch I poured half of the hot syrup into a measuring cup to make red and blue. I used 6 drops of each color and would use more coloring next time. You'll need to work quickly, but carefully as melted sugar is extremely hot. How well you get the corn coated is only limited by your patience to keep stirring it:@)I think seasoned candy makers will notice that the liquid food coloring does make the coating a little grainy, it just won't be smooth and glossy.Might not want to make this on a humid day without air conditioning-just sayin'... I put it in a slightly warm oven to dry and set-up.