The typical Chinese restaurant wonton soup is watered down, with wontons made of mostly the wonton wrapper with very little filling. While most Chinese restaurants served wontons made of ground pork filling, these wontons are shrimp wontons so every bite is bursting with the briny, juicy, and sweetness of fresh shrimp. Plus everyone can enjoy this wonderful soup as it is not made of pork. This recipe from Rasa Malaysia was very well received by the entire family. This recipe was altered slightly to make it completely vegetarian. Let me know if you make it! I enjoy and respond to all comments. See also my Egg Drop Soup from Weight Watchers. or Authentic Won Ton Soup
Want more Chinese goodness? Click on these Good Fortune Meals for Chinese New Year.
Authentic Wonton Soup
- 8 oz peeled and deveined big shrimp
- 1 oz yellow chives or scallions chopped finely
- 15 wonton wrappers
- Water for boiling wontons
- 1/4 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon vegetable bouillon powder
- 1/4 teaspoon fish sauce
- Pinch of salt
- 3 dashes white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon corn starch
- 3 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- Salt to taste
- White pepper to taste
- Sesame oil to taste
- Rinse the shrimp and pat dry with paper towels and then cut each shrimp into 3-4 pieces.
- Add half of the chopped yellow chives into the shrimp and marinate with the seasonings for 1 hour.
- Place a wonton wrapper on your palm and put about 1 teaspoon (about 3-4 pieces of the shrimp) filling in the center of the wonton wrapper. Gather the corners of the wrapper with the other hand and pinch in the middle to “seal” the wonton. Make sure the wontons are sealed tight. Repeat until the filling is used up.
- Prepare the soup first by bringing the vegetable broth to boil. Add salt, white pepper, and sesame oil to taste.
- Heat up another pot with water. As soon as it boils, drop all wontons into the water. Stirring gently so the wontons don’t stick together. Continue to boil until the wontons are completely cooked and float to the top.
- Transfer the wontons out with a strainer and into the Soup and serve immediately.