Not all fruitcake is a doorstop in disguise! This recipe takes fruit cake to a whole new level. This is the only fruitcake I will eat. My stepmom gave me this recipe. She has been giving this to me for Christmas for 25 years. Even if you hate fruitcake you have to try this Applesauce Fruitcake. What more can you ask for? Dried fruit, nuts, it is better than stollen! Oh, did I mention there is rum? Enjoy! #fruit # nuts #rum #christmas For more apple recipes see An Apple A day.
Applesauce Fruit Cake
- 1 cup chopped mixed candied fruit
- 1 cup finely chopped pecans
- 1 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped dried apricots
- 1/2 cup chopped dried apples
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour divided
- 1 cup butter softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups applesauce
- 2 teaspoons vanilla or rum extract
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- In a bowl, combine the first six ingredients; add 1 cup flour. Stir to coat. In a bowl, cream butter and sugar; add eggs and mix well. Add the applesauce and vanilla extract. Combine the baking soda, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg, cloves, allspice and remaining flour; stir into applesauce mixture. Stir in fruit mixture. Pour into a greased and floured 10-in. tube pan.
- Bake at 325° for 60-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Nutrition Information is estimated based on the ingredients and cooking instructions as described in each recipe and is intended to be used for informational purposes only. Please note that nutrition details may vary based on methods of preparation, origin and freshness of ingredients used.
Conversion Information We get a lot of requests to help with conversions especially between various countries like Canada, the U.K. and Australia. These tables should help you make those conversions. For your convenience we have included a Conversion Chart.