Apple Pie Slab ~It’s official! The fall weather is coming and the orchard and farm down the street is bustling. The apple trees are straining their limbs to hold all though delicious apples. Honey Crisp are being harvested and I got a bushel for eating and baking. Today, with the sun shining in the windows and a nice breeze blowing in the patio door wall I fired up my oven. And whoa, I didn’t use fired lightly. Whipping up the slab pie was not much more than peeling and cutting the large apples. After sliding my pan into the oven I suddenly remembered I didn’t add my signature pads of butter to the apples! Trying not to let the steam burn my face I frantically sliced butter and tossed it into the pan. The last one MISSED and sizzled as it melted and burned on the electric coils. I prefer gas, but this home has NO GAS lines and I didn’t like the price to do the changeover. Black smoke filled the air as the smoke alarm screamed its warning and I ran through the house with my apron fanning the air. What a sight to see. Gentle hubby stood and laughed as I cried. The worst part of the ordeal is the lovely aroma of baking pie just couldn’t make it past the burning butter. Of course, my timer problem (I never remember to set it) reared its ugly head and the entire edge of my pie was black. I decided to go ahead and take a photo for this recipe anyway. After all, we have all burned a pie or two, eh? Well, now you know. The best laid plans for a nice dessert can go awry.
Apple Slab Pie
Apple Slab Pie ~Make your homemade pie go farther using the same ingredients as your typical round pie. Cut it in squares!
- 1 box Pillsbury™ refrigerated pie crusts, softened as directed on box
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 9 cups thinly sliced, peeled apples (9 medium)
- 8 tbs of butter sliced in pads
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- drizzle caramel sauce on top
- adding ice cream is also good!
- Heat oven to 450°F. Remove pie crusts from pouches. On lightly floured surface, unroll and stack crusts one on top of the other. Roll to 17x12-inch rectangle. Fit crust into 15x10x1-inch pan, pressing into corners. Fold extra crust under, even with edges of pan.
- In small bowl, mix granulated sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and lemon juice. Add apples, stirring to coat. Spoon apple mixture into crust-lined pan. Add butter across the top for a carmalized thicker syrup.
- Bake 33 to 38 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool in pan on cooling rack 45 minutes.
- In small bowl, mix powdered sugar and milk until well blended. Drizzle over pie. Let stand until glaze is set, about 30 minutes.
©MARILYN'S TREATS. All images are copyright protected.
Serving Size 1 piece
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 13 g
Saturated Fat 7 g
Cholesterol 20 mg
Sodium 190 mg
Total Carbohydrates 43 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 20 g
Protein 2 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.