Apple Crumb Pie ~Another one of the delicious pies from the Soup Supper and Pie charity auction. Brown sugar and oatmeal crumbles sit majestically atop perfectly plump and tender apples. This one came home with us too, for $31! Juicy and warm, this pie went perfectly with the french vanilla ice cream.Would you pay $35 for an Apple Crumb Pie? You would for this one!Click To Tweet
Apple Crumb Pie
Apple Crumb Pie ~Brown sugar and oatmeal crumbles sit majestically atop perfectly plump and tender apples. This one came home with us too. Juicy and warm, this pie went perfect the french vanilla ice cream.
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 8 apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 1/2 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Oatmeal Crumble Topping:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold unsalted butter
- Melt butter in a sauce pan. Stir in flour to form a paste. Add white sugar, brown sugar and water; bring to a boil. Reduce temperature, and simmer 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl mix sliced apples with nutmeg, ginger, cinnnamon, and vanilla extract.
- Place the bottom crust in your pan. Fill with your apples, mounded slightly. Pour sauce over apples.
- Bake for 30 mins at 400°F Now for the crumble topping.
- Add flour, sugar, oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt in the container of a food processor; pulse several times to mix. Scatter the butter over the top; pulse repeatedly until mixture resembles fine crumbs. Empty the crumbs into a large bowl and rub them together between your fingers until you have large, buttery crumbs.
- Remove pie from oven and lower temperature to 375°. Carefully pour the crumble mixture in the center of the pie, spreading them over the surface evenly. Bake for another 30-40 mins you may have to cover with aluminum foil the final 15 mins to prevent your topping from burning. So keep a close eye on your pie.