Apple Cinnamon Monkey Bread ~If you love apples and desserts with apples in them, I think you’ll love this recipe! It’s a decadent, rich tasting sweet monkey bread. It makes a wonderful brunch treat or dessert and perfect for the holidays. One skinny serving has 196 calories, 7 grams of fat and 6 Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS. So easy to make and freezes great. For more apple recipes see An Apple A day.
Apple Cinnamon Monkey Bread
Apple Cinnamon Monkey Bread ~If you love apples and desserts with apples in them, I think you’ll love this recipe! It’s a decadent, rich tasting sweet monkey bread. It makes a wonderful brunch treat or dessert and perfect for the holidays. One skinny serving has 196 calories, 7 grams of fat and 6 Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS. So easy to make and freezes great.
- Cooking spray (with flour in it)
- 3 cups apples, peeled and diced small
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- ⅓ cup reduced-fat butter or Smart Balance Light
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoon water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 (12 oz each) cans Pillsbury refrigerated buttermilk biscuits or Pillsbury Golden Layer
- Buttermilk Flaky Biscuits (100 calories for each biscuit)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a Bundt pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a microwave safe bowl, toss together chopped apples, 2 tablespoons sugar and 2 teaspoons cinnamon. Cook for 2 minutes to soften.
- In the meantime, in a pan, melt butter, brown sugar, water and vanilla. Bring to a boil, turn heat to low and cook for 2 minutes. Stir often. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, blend 3 tablespoons granulated sugar and 2 teaspoons cinnamon.
- Quarter each biscuit from 1 package and roll each piece in about half the sugar/cinnamon mixture. Place biscuit pieces layered evenly in Bundt pan. Spoon ½ of cooked apples evenly over the biscuits. Spoon ½ of cooked sauce over the apples and biscuit pieces.
- Quarter each biscuit from the 2nd package and roll each piece in remaining sugar/cinnamon mixture. Place these remaining biscuit pieces layered evenly in Bundt pan. Add remaining cooked apples evenly over top of biscuits. Spoon remaining ½ of cooked sauce evenly over apples and biscuit pieces.
- Bake for 25 minutes. Remove from oven. Let sit for about 5 minutes. While still hot, carefully loosen sides and middle of pan. Invert onto a serving plate.
- Serve warm. Slice into 16 slices and let everyone pull their slice apart to eat.
Monkey Bread, also known as Bubble Loaf, Pinch Me Cake, or Hungarian Coffee Cake, began appearing in woman’s magazines and community cookbooks back in the 1950s. The origin of the name is unknown, though it has been suggested the bread resembles the monkey puzzle tree whose prickly branches make it difficult to climb. Some feel the name derives from the act of pulling the pastry apart with their fingers. Much like monkeys would do if they were presented with such a treat.
Storage Tip :
This monkey bread freezes great. Slice into servings and place in individual plastic container. Store in freezer.
Recipe Source: Skinny Kitchen
Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 7 g
Saturated Fat 2 g
Sodium 481 mg
Total Carbohydrates 34 g
Dietary Fiber 2 g
Sugars 18 g
Protein 3 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.