Prepare these apple cinnamon steel-cut oats the night before and wake up to a healthy, wholesome breakfast! Don’t you just lovemeals you prepare when you have the time and then serve them when you are ready to eat? I know I do. Many of my brunch recipes are just like that. Prepare the night before and then just heat the next day. This Apple and Steel Cut Oatmeal doesn’t disappoint. The perk is it is healthy and even can be made Gluten Free if you wish. Add any fuits on top that are in season. This one has cranberries and golden raisins. Enjoy. Want more? For more apple recipes see An Apple A day.
Apple and Cinnamon Steel Cut Oatmeal
- 4 cups water best to use filtered water
- 1 cup steel cut oats use gluten free if desired
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 medium apple cored and diced (I used Honeycrisp)
- 2 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- cranberries golden raisins, strawberries, blueberries, golden raisins or peanut butter can be added on top as desired
- In a medium pot over high heat, bring water to a boil.
- Once water is boiling, add oats, salt, apple, flaxseed, cinnamon and maple syrup. Boil for about two minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent overflow.
- After two minutes, remove pan from heat. The oatmeal should stop boiling. Stir in vanilla. Cover pot and allow mixture to sit overnight.
- In the morning, heat pot over medium heat to warm through. Top with additional cinnamon and maple syrup, if desired. Seasonal fruits are also delicious choices.
Nutrition Information is estimated based on the ingredients and cooking instructions as described in each recipe and is intended to be used for informational purposes only. Please note that nutrition details may vary based on methods of preparation, origin and freshness of ingredients used.
Conversion Information We get a lot of requests to help with conversions especially between various countries like Canada, the U.K. and Australia. These tables should help you make those conversions. For your convenience we have included a Conversion Chart.