Are you known as the Cake Mom for all the sports parties? I was. I made more hockey net cakes, sticks and pucks cupcakes, baseball bat donuts, and soccer and basketball layer cakes than there are teams in the Sweet Sixteen playoffs. They look and taste great and only using your imagination to create out of the box treats make it difficult. The kids will love helping you frost and decorate this cake with their team colors and numbers. Even if the season didn’t let them bring home a trophy you can make the party bright providing this delicious cake. It will brighten their day as well as the dessert table.
All Star Basketball Cake
Have a yellow cake mix and a couple cans of frosting? Make this Basketball Cake for the team party in under 45 minutes!
- Crisco® Original No-Stick Cooking Spray
- 1 package Pillsbury® Moist Supreme® Classic Yellow Premium Cake Mix
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup Crisco® Pure Vegetable Oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1 container Pillsbury® Creamy Supreme® Chocolate Fudge Flavored Frosting, divided
- 1 container Pillsbury® Funfetti® Orange All Star™ Vanilla Flavored Frosting
- HEAT oven to 350°F. Coat 2 (9-inch) round cake pans with no-stick cooking spray.
- PREPARE cake mix according to package directions using water, oil and eggs. Divide evenly into prepared cake pans. Bake 20 to 24 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes. Remove from pans to wire rack to cool completely.
- PLACE one cake layer, rounded side down, on serving plate. Spread with 1/2 cup chocolate frosting. Top with remaining cake layer, rounded side up. Spread orange frosting on sides and top of cake. Let stand 10 minutes. Pat with paper towel to create surface texture of basketball. Place remaining chocolate frosting in decorating bag fitted with medium coupler and medium round tip. Make lines on cake to resemble a basketball. Change to star tip to make border around bottom of cake. Top border with candy bits from frosting.
Recipe Source: Pillsbury