4 Cheese Stuffed Shells is the epitome of a comfort meal. In under 30 minutes you can have a warm, gooey, cheesy, meal on the table. The blend of 4 cheeses adds flavor and texture to the noodles. Italian spices, tomatoes, shells cooked al dente spell COMFORT in my book? What is your favorite comfort food? I have one for every mood and season. Let me know in the comments below. I love to hear your stories!
Now you know what to cook see my 19 Tips For Perfect Pasta
4 Cheese Stuffed Shells
- 8 pieces jumbo pasta shells
- 1 1/2 pounds ricotta cheese or part skim ricotta cheese
- 1 pound mozzarella diced
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 1 cup shredded Asiago
- 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil 2 turns of the pan
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 1 can 28 ounces crushed tomatoes
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6 or 7 leaves fresh basil torn or shredded
- Preheat oven or broiler to 450 degrees F.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Salt water and add pasta. Cook shells 12 to 15 minutes, they should be softened but still undercooked at the center. Drain pasta and cool.
- Combine ricotta, 1/2 of the diced mozzarella, a couple of handfuls of Parmigiano and 1/2 of the Asiago. Add parsley to the cheeses and stir to combine.
- To a small saucepot over moderate heat add oil, garlic and onions. Saute onions and garlic 5 minutes. Add tomatoes and season sauce with salt and pepper. Simmer sauce 5 minutes and stir in basil leaves
- Pour a little sauce into the bottom of a shallow medium sized casserole dish. Fill shells with rounded spoonfuls of cheese mixture and arrange them seam side down in casserole dish. Top shells with remaining sauce and remaining mozzarella and Asiago cheeses. Place shells in very hot oven or 8 inches from hot broiler and cook 6 to 8 minutes to melt cheeses and bubble sauce.
Nutrition Information is estimated based on the ingredients and cooking instructions as described in each recipe and is intended to be used for informational purposes only. Please note that nutrition details may vary based on methods of preparation, origin and freshness of ingredients used.
Conversion Information We get a lot of requests to help with conversions especially between various countries like Canada, the U.K. and Australia. These tables should help you make those conversions. For your convenience we have included a Conversion Chart.