With summer upon us here and picnics in our future the worry of keeping foods in the heat from spoiling is on my mind. Salads and slaws really bother me since we recently had a food poisoning scare and I don’t want to repeat it! My answer to this problem is vinegar based cole slaw instead of using a mayonnaise or dairy recipe. This quick and healthy option is just what I needed. And the fact it tastes great is a clear win win for my family. Give it a try and let me know what you think!
Worry no more about taking your slaws to a picnic. this healthy option is the answer. #cabbage #carrots #slawClick To Tweet
- ½ thinly sliced head of green cabbage
- 1 cup of thinly sliced red cabbage
- 2 whole shredded carrots
- 3 thinly sliced green onions
- ¼ cup of apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon of grainy mustard
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- ¼ cup of olive oil
- 1½ teaspoons of celery seed
- Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
- In a small bowl whisk together vinegar, mustard, honey and olive oil and set aside. In a separate bowl mix together cabbages, carrots, green onions and celery seed. Next, pour a small amount of the dressing on the cabbage mixture and mix together until combined and until desired amount of dressing is achieved. Season with salt and pepper and chille before serving.