Rhubarb Strawberry Pudding Cake ~This is one of those childhood memories that come back and let you know spring has sprung. We had a large batch of healthy rhubarb growing along our fence line for most of the summer. Ever once in a while my mom would hand me her kitchen shears and have me harvest some. I knew that something good would be simmering in her pot that day.
- ½ cup whole milk
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup water
- ⅓ cup sugar , plus
- 1½ teaspoons cornstarch
- 1¾ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup chopped fresh strawberries (5 ounces)
- ½ cup unsalted butter , melted and cooled slightly
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups chopped fresh rhubarb , stalks (10 ounces)
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 400°F
- Butter an 8-inch square glass or ceramic baking dish.
- Stir together water, cornstarch, and ⅓ cup sugar in a small saucepan, then stir in rhubarb.
- Bring to a simmer, stirring constantly, then simmer, stirring occasionally, 3 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in strawberries.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, and remaining ½ cup sugar in a bowl.
- Whisk together egg, milk, butter, and vanilla in a large bowl, then whisk in flour mixture until just combined.
- Reserve ½ cup fruit mixture, then add remainder to baking dish and pour batter over it, spreading evenly.
- Drizzle reserved ½ cup fruit mixture over batter.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted into center of cake portion comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Cool in pan on a rack 5 minutes before serving.