Red Velvet Oreo Trifle ~I made this at Christmas and everyone raved about how yummy it looked. When it was time to dish it out my sister scooped very small portions on each plate. That wasn’t enough! Since the dessert was so light relatives came back for seconds and thirds. I was totally surprised there wasn’t even a spoonful left over. For those dieters, use low fat cool whip. Tell everyone I removed all the calories.
- 1 box Red Velvet cake mix (Or your favorite from scratch recipe, two round 8 inch layers)
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup water
- ¼ cup oil
- 1 3.5 oz Jello cheesecake filling mix
- 1½ cups milk
- 1 6oz container of Cool Whip
- 2 packages of Oreos with seasonal red filling (you'll need about 1½ packages)
- Prepare red velvet cake mix according to the directions on the box. (I used two round 8 inch pans.) Let the cake cool completely.
- In a medium-sized bowl, prepare the cheesecake filling according to the directions on the box. Transfer the bowl to the refrigerator to thicken.
- Chop Oreos into large pieces, but not crumbs. You won't need all of the second package, probably around half. ( I used a neat tenderizer)
- When the cake layers are cool, cut into 1 inch squares.
- The cheesecake filling should be thick enough at this point. Fold in the Cool Whip.
- In a large clear bowl, create the bottom layer by arranging the pieces of cake from one of the cake layers. Next, spread a half of the cheesecake filling on top of the cake. Sprinkle with half of the chopped Oreos. Repeat with the other cake layer, cheesecake filling, and Oreos.
- Refrigerate for at least two hours, but overnight is best. Store trifle in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
©MARILYN'S TREATS. All images are copyright protected.