Oven Caramel Corn ~If you like caramel corn then you must try making it on your own. This recipe takes a bit longer since it bakes in the oven but it is well worth the time! Fresh, warm, and not too messy to eat, the addition of the nuts make it taste like cracker jack. All that is missing is the toy inside! You can correct that problem by adding a party favor for the kids to find in the bowl. For the adults add a little scrap of paper and write out a fortune!
Serving size: 1
- 12 cups popped popcorn
- 1½ cups walnut or pecan halves or 1½ cups unblanched whole almonds
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- ½ cup butter or margarine
- ¼ cup light corn syrup
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- Heat oven to 200ºF. Divide popcorn and pecans between 2 ungreased rectangular pans, 13x9x2 inches.
- Heat brown sugar, butter, corn syrup and salt in 3-quart saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until bubbly around edges. Cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally; remove from heat. Stir in baking soda.
- Pour mixture over popcorn and walnuts; stir until well coated. Bake 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes.