Notre Dame Popcorn ~Whether you’re Irish or just pretend to be Irish on St. Patrick’s Day, you will love this green popcorn recipe. I have seen a lot of different recipes on Pinterest for Green Popcorn but I got my helpful tips from The Iron Chef Mom.
- 4 tbsp butter
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup light corn syrup
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2-3 quarts of popcorn, popped to perfection using my stove top recipe
- Food coloring
- First, preheat your oven to 250 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Melt the butter, sugar and light corn syrup in a saucepan on medium heat until all the sugar has dissolved and the mixture starts to boil.
- Turn off the heat and add the baking soda and salt. It will start puffing up- which is what you want it to do- so keep stirring for about 15-20 seconds and then add the food coloring of your choice. Start with just a few drops and then add as you stir it in. I learned the hard way and I am sure our guests will all leave with green tongues……sssshhhh, our secret ;0)
- Pour the mixture on top of your popcorn and mix thoroughly coating the all the popcorn. Then evenly spread it on your baking sheet and pop it in the oven! You will want the popcorn to bake for a total of 30-40 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes or so.
- Pull the sheet out, let it cool and serve OR store in an airtight container!