Monte Cristo Sandwich ~sourdough bread, ham, cheeses, eggs and butter make this sandwich a unique and tasty surprise. I have seen it with jam or powdered sugar sugar sprinkled on top for the slim and non diabetic folks. I didn’t try one of these until I was in my late 40’s. Before that I only knew it in a joke context. “Why did the Count of Monte Cristo move to the desert? Answer: Because all of the sand which is there! ~Groan~
- 8 slices sourdough bread
- 2 tablespoons honey mustard
- ½ pound sliced deli ham
- 1½ cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 eggs, beaten
- ¼ cup milk
- ⅛ teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Spread one side of 4 bread slices with mustard. Top remaining 4 slices with ham. Combine mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses and mix together; sprinkle mixture evenly over ham and close sandwiches, mustard side down.
- In a shallow dish or bowl combine the eggs, milk and nutmeg and mix well. Melt butter in a large skillet or on a griddle over medium heat. Dip each sandwich in egg mixture, turning to coat. Let excess egg mixture drip into dish or bowl, and place sandwiches in hot skillet. Cook until golden brown and cheese is melted.