Frito Taco Trifle ~This would be perfect to take to a church covered dish dinner or to serve at a Super Bowl party or to make for the NCAA basketball championship! It is also great for a simple weeknight supper. You can use a 9×11 pan, or just make a taco bar on the table. I liked the trifle becauseI like to spruce up a meal. Sometimes I light votive candles too, but that speech is for a different dinner.
Everything you want in a taco casserole but without the mess! #taco #fritoClick To Tweet
- 1 pound ground beef, or turkey, or leave out the meat
- ⅔ cup water
- ¼ cup taco seasoning
- 1 can refried beans (optional)
- 2 medium ripe avocados, peeled and pitted
- 2 TBSP finley chopped red onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 4 cups shredded lettuce
- 1 small can sliced black olives, drained and pitted
- 4 roma tomatoes, chopped
- 1 small cucumber, peeled and chopped
- 5 green onions, chopped
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 1 cup mild salsa
- 2 cups sour cream
- Frito chips
- In a small skillet, cook ground beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in water and taco seasoning. Cook and stir for two minutes. Stir in one can of refried beans (optional) and heat thoroughly. Let cool slightly while you assemble remaining ingredients.
- In a small bowl, mash avocados with onion, garlic, and lemon juice (or use prepared guacamole).
- In a 3-quart trifle dish (or glass bowl) layer in this order:
- ground beef mixture
- avocado mixture
- shredded lettuce
- sliced black olives
- chopped tomatoes
- chopped cucumber
- chopped green onions
- grated cheddar cheese
- sour cream
- Repeat all layers, ending with sour cream. You may want to save out a few green onions and black olives for a garnish.
- Serve immediately with frito chips.