Easy Shepherds Pie ~A great Fall staple for a warm, one pot casserole. With the addition of fresh homemade mashed potatoes, a lean grade of ground round beef or turkey, and a medley of fresh garden veggies, this Shepherds Pie is sure to provide a nutritious and well balanced meal for after the kiddos soccer game or football game and even that dance class! Preparing the meat and veggies takes only about 10 minutes. Pop it into the oven and set the timer for about 50 minutes and when you get home it is ready! The aroma permeating the kitchen is sure to make everyone want to eat right away.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped (about ½ cup)
- 1 can (10¾ ounces) Campbell’s® Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup or Campbell’s® Condensed 98% Fat Free Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup frozen peas and carrots
- 2½ cups milk
- ¼ cup (1/2 stick) butter
- 2 cups instant mashed potato flakes or buds
- Heat the oven to 400°F.
- Cook the beef and onion in a 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat until the beef is well browned, stirring often to separate meat. Pour off any fat.
- Stir the soup, ketchup, black pepper and peas and carrots in the skillet. Spoon the beef mixture into a 9-inch pie plate.
- Heat milk and butter in 2-quart saucepan over medium-high heat to a boil. Remove the saucepan from the heat. Stir in the potatoes. The potatoes will be stiff. Spoon the potatoes over the beef mixture.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until the potatoes are lightly browned.