Double Crust Cherry Pie ~ Just one of a table full of pies from the Soup-supper Charity Auction. Ripe cherries and buttery crust will bring the goodness of a country fair to you. This pie was auctioned for $30. I didn’t sample it, but it must have been as wonderful as it looked for taking the highest bid to that point!
- 1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch double crust pie
- 4 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup white sugar
- 4 cups pitted cherries
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1½ tablespoons butter
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (205 degrees C). Place bottom crust in pie pan. Set top crust aside, covered.
- Roll out half the crust and line a 9-inch pie pan. Refrigerate until needed. Roll out the top crust and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl combine tapioca, salt, sugar, cherries, and extracts. Let stand 15 minutes. Turn out into bottom crust and dot with butter. Cover with top crust, flute edges and cut vents in top. Place pie on a foil-lined cookie sheet--in case of drips!
- Bake for 50 minutes in the preheated oven, until golden brown. Let cool for several hours before slicing.