What could be better than pizza? Deep Fried PizzaDonuts. Calzone balls with fluffy, yet crispy donut-like breading, That’s what. Do you find yourself eating on the run, between errands, or in your car? This is the answer to your dilemma. No more drips on your business clothes. No more needing a bunch of napkins to keep your face clean. The dough in these Deep Fried Donuts will keep the sauce and cheese inside where they belong.
- THE FILLER :
- Bacon (I used Turkey Bacon)
- Pepperoni (I used Turkey Pepperoni)
- Pizza of spaghetti sauce
- Cheese ( I used Mozzarella)
- THE DOUGH:
- 1½ cups flower
- ½ (7g package) of dry active yeast
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 TBSP sugar
- 1 egg
- ½ cup warm water
- 1 TBSP oil (I use coconut oil)
- THE FILLER:
- Cut bacon into small pieces and cook thoroughly.
- Slice pepperoni into small pieces
- THE DOUGH:
- Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Add wet ingredients and stir until mixture is thick and even
- Let dough sit for one hour so it can rise.
- Flour your work surface thoroughly. ( i use a large cutting board)
- With floured hands, grab a "golf ball sized" amount of dough and flatten it is about ⅛ inch thick.
- The flattened dough should be about the diameter of a softball. Sprinkle on more flour if needed to keep from sticking.
- Spread 1 TBSP or so of pizza sauce in the center of the dough. Make sure to leave a lip of unsauced dough around the outer edge so you will be able to seal the ball without any mess.
- In a small bowl (or in your hand), smash together ¼ cup Shredded cheese, 2 TBSP bacon, 2 TBSP pepperoni, then form them into a ball.
- Place cheese ball in the center of the dough and fold one side of the dough on top of the Ball.
- In a circular motion fold up all the sides of the dough until it is completely covering the cheese ball
- Lightly press the folds together to seal the dough together.
- Place in freezer for at least 1 hour.
- Cook in oil on medium/high heat until golden brown.
- Place on paper plate to remove excess grease before serving.
This is just a basic pizza dough recipe. you can either get creative with your own dough ideas or you can try the one I use here: Honey Chipotle Pizza Dough (If you use this recipe,only use half the ingredients, unless you plan on making a lot)
You can also bake them at 400F for 30 mins