Creamy Ham Chowder ~Treat yourself to a creamy, colorful, and low-cal ham chowder. From crisp onions and carrots to cheesy broccoli florets, this heartwarming, slow-cooked dinner is brimming with healthy and delicious toss-ins.
- 12 ounces tiny yellow potatoes, cut into ¾-inch pieces
- 1 cup chopped onion (1 large)
- 2 14½ ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 12 ounce can evaporated fat-free milk (1-1/2 cups)
- ½ cup diced cooked lean ham
- 1 cup coarsely shredded carrots (2 medium)
- 1 cup broccoli florets, steamed
- ¼ cup shredded cheddar cheese (1 ounce)
- 2 teaspoons snipped fresh thyme
- In a 4-quart slow cooker combine potatoes and onion. Pour broth over vegetables.
- Cover and cook on high-heat setting for 3 hours.
- In a medium bowl combine cornstarch, dried thyme, and pepper. Whisk in evaporated milk. Slowly stir the cornstarch mixture, ham, and carrots into the hot soup. Cover and cook for 30 minutes more, stirring the soup occasionally.
- Serve soup topped with broccoli, cheese, and fresh thyme.