This perfect holiday ham is oozing with lush fruit thanks to a double dose of cherries: dried tart cherries and fresh cherry juice. A smear of peach jam makes a supersweet finale.
- 1 cup dried tart cherries, chopped
- ½ cup cherry juice or orange juice
- 1 3 pound cooked boneless ham
- 1 18 ounce jar peach preserves
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. In a small saucepan combine ½ cup of the dried cherries and the cherry juice; bring to boiling. Remove from heat; let stand for 15 minutes. Drain cherries, discarding juice.
- Make four or five slits (1-1/2 to 2 inches deep) in ham. Press some of the soaked cherries into each slit as it is cut. Place ham on a roasting rack in a 13x9x2-inch baking pan or baking dish. Cover with foil.
- Insert an oven-going meat thermometer into thickest portion of ham.* Bake about 2 hours or until thermometer registers 140 degrees F.
- Place peach preserves in a small bowl; snip any large pieces of fruit. Stir in the remaining ½ cup dried cherries and the lemon juice. Spoon ½ cup of the preserves mixture over ham. Bake, uncovered, for 10 minutes more. In a small saucepan heat the remaining preserves mixture and pass with the ham.
Prepare as directed through Step 2. Chill for up to 4 hours. Continue as directed in Steps 3 and 4.
If you don't have an oven-going meat thermometer, use an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest portion of ham to test the temperature.
Makes: 10 servings
Prep: 25 mins
Bake: 2 hrs 10 mins 325°F
Stand: 15 mins