Cherry Chocolate Cake ~Chocolate Cake is so traditional and just like chocolate chip cookies, just about everyone has their own favorite recipe. I have many favorites and depending on if I am in the mood for a sturdy cake to stack and decorate, or a very moist cake, or a sour cream base batter each one has a place in my recipe box. This chocolate cake has a simple and moist batter that will be able to last a few days and stay fresh. Well, in my house cake doesn’t get to go stale. I like to dress up my icings in many ways. This one has cherries surrounding it but you can use any kind of fruit you like. I like the way the bright red color lights up the chocolate. How about you? What do you finish your decorating with?
Serving size: 1
Fat: 4.6 g
- ½ cup butter
- 1½ cups white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1¾ cups cake flour
- 1¼ teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 (21 ounce) can cherry pie filling
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease and flour one 9x13 inch baking pan.
- Cream the butter with sugar until light and fluffy. Mix in the eggs and almond extract and beat well. Add the cocoa powder and mix until well combined.
- By hand, stir the cake flour, baking soda and salt together. Add flour mixture to the butter mixture and mix until just combined. Stir in the cherry pie filling. Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 30 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the middle comes out clean. Cool and frost with Chocolate Buttercream.
©MARILYN'S TREATS. All images are copyright protected.