Cheddar Cheese Sauce ~This 4 ingredient recipe only needs 3-4 minutes to cook and is best started once the water for your noodles starts boiling. Butter, flour, milk and grated cheddar cheese is all you need! This sauce goes great on veggies, in queso, or over macaroni and cheese. Anywhere to want to add a bit of cheddar will do. Sure beats Velveeta! Sorry Velveeta lovers just my opinion.
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- ¼ cup Gold Medal™ all-purpose flour
- 3 cups whole milk, warm
- 10 to 12 ounces cheddar cheese, grated
- Salt and pepper
- Add butter and flour to a medium pot over medium heat. Let the butter melt and whisk the flour into the butter. Let it cook for 3-4 minutes until mixture turns a light tan color and smells a bit nutty.
- Slowly start drizzling warm milk into the flour mixture, whisking constantly. Add the milk in a constant stream to avoid lumping. Start with 2-1/2 cups of milk and, depending on thickness, add the other ½ later if needed. Let the mixture heat as you whisk, thickening over a few minutes.
- Once the sauce is the consistency of a light gravy, add the grated cheddar cheese and whisk it into the sauce so it melts evenly.
- Season the sauce with salt and pepper to taste.
- Use the warm cheese sauce with pasta, or put it in a dish and serve with bread cubes or chips as a queso dip!