These cookies are simple red velvet cookies made around a center of a rolo with some sprinkles to make it colorful. Had I been making a full batch of these I would have buried the candy in the center. I think they came out a bit dull looking, but believe me the taste is all there! Last Christmas I was toying with the idea of starting my own food blog. So, as I cooked throughout the fall and winter I started taking photos of my creations. To say it nicely, they turned out awful. This year, my photography skills are hit and miss, but my cookie baking is suffering due to fatigue and family obligations. So I made 5 types of generic dough the other day and contemplated making 4-6 cookies adding different candies or toppings. More bang for the buck was my thought. Well, par for the way these are going this year, it ended up as more of a whimper. Happy Holidays everyone!
- 1 package Pillsbury™ refrigerated sugar cookie dough
- ⅓ cup cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon Betty Crocker™ red gel food color
- 24 chocolate-covered caramel candies (such as Rolo™)
- Sprinkles of choice.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Line a cookie sheet with a piece of parchment. Set aside.
- In a gallon-sized zip-top bag, place sugar cookie dough, cocoa powder and red gel food coloring together. Knead bag until ingredients are well combined.
- Place ball on cookie sheet. Add a rolo deep into the center of the cookie. Continue until all dough has been rolled into cookie rounds.
- Bake cookies in preheated oven for 9 minutes, or just until they begin to set. Remove cookies and cool.
- Add sprinkles over the top of each cooled cookie. Serve at room temperature.