Best Homemade Apple Fritters ~Apple season is upon us and so is the storm of apple recipes. Make these delicious fritters at home with tart apples, cinnamon, nutmeg and a powdered sugar glaze. The secret ingredients is the apple juice. Apple cider from the orchard makes these donuts finger licking good. They make a great addition to that Church Bake Sale or School Halloween Party. Be sure to keep some for your family, too! They will love them
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- pinch of salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1¼ cups buttermilk
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1½ cups finely diced tart apples
- Vegetable Oil for Frying
- Powdered sugar
- Apple Juice or Fresh Apple Cider
- Mix together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Set aside
- In a small bowl mix together buttermilk and egg yolks and add to flour mixture. Stir just until mixed thoroughly.
- Beat egg whites until stiff.
- Fold beaten egg whites gently into batter.
- Fold in finely diced apples.
- Heat oil in heavy pan then drop batter by a tablespoon into hot oil. Cook one side until golden brown then flip over and cook backside until golden.
- Remove hot fritters and allow to drain on rack with paper towels beneath.
- Mix powdered sugar and apple juice in a small bowl until it is the consistency of thin icing.
- Dip warm fritter in icing flipping to coat both sides.
- Return iced fritter to rack for any excess icing to drain and icing to set.