This recipe has been passed down for four generations in my family. I have made it for Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter since my mom passed. I always am requested to make this dish for every family get together. I always have made this as a trifle until this year when my dish was being used already. I put it in a 9×11 glass dish and it was better than ever. It was much easier to dish out and every portion got each layer. The left over didn’t separate and the bananas didn’t turn brown. We make this as a side dish but it can also be used as a dessert. Another dis with that WOW factor. You can substitute sugar free ingredients, too.
- 6 ounces Lemon Jello
- 2 cups Boiling Water
- 2 cups 7up or Sprite
- 20 ounce Can Crushed Pineapple, Drained Juice Reserved
- 3 whole Banana's, Sliced
- 1 cup Mini Marshmallows
- Pineapple Pudding Mousse:
- 2 tablespoons All-Purpose Flour
- ½ cup Sugar
- 1 whole Egg, Beaten
- 1 cup Pineapple Juice
- 3 tablespoons Butter
- 1 nine oz cool whip
- For Garnish:
- Chopped Nuts and Maraschino Cherries (Optional)
- Combine lemon Jello and boiling water. Stir until jello is dissolved. Add 7 up and stir until combined. Allow to cool in fridge for 30 min or until partially set.
- Add drained crushed pineapple, sliced banana's and mini marshmallows.
- Pour Jello mixture into a 9"x13" pan or divide evenly into 10 individual parfait glasses or into a trifle bowl. Cover and refrigerate for 2-3 hours.
- For Pineapple Pudding Mousse:
- Combine flour and sugar in a medium sized pan and stir in egg. Slowly pour in pineapple juice while stirring until smooth. Bring to a boil over medium heat while
- stirring constantly. Allow to thicken. Remove from heat. Add butter and stir until the butter is melted.
- Remove from heat and stir in gelatin until dissolved.
- Allow to cool 15 minutes or until room temperature. Refrigerate.
- Fold cool whip into the cooled pudding mixture.
- Pour Pineapple Pudding Mousse mixture over the top of lemon jello. Cover and refrigerate for 6 hours or overnight.
- Garnish with chopped nuts and cherries if using and serve.